I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

You

You sit next to me; you sense that I’m sad
You hold my hand in yours; you try to squeeze it hard.
You look in my eyes, try to see inside
I try to smile and tell you, I’ll be fine.
I know you don’t believe me, you’ve known me too long.

You sit next to me, and you hold me again,
You play with my hair, you play with my ears.
Later you invite me to go for a run
But in a second you have changed your mind.
You mix in the conversation a bunch of new plans.
You tell me you love me, you say you’re my friend
You tell me you’re lucky, I’m the best mother you have
And then with a smile you say “but I only have one”.

You look so different
You have grown so much
How long ago did I visit school for lunch?
I guess I don’t remember the last time that we talked.

You are innocent and beautiful
Sarcastic, witty and charming
And I thank God for the blessing of your life
And I pray for more years, just enough years to guide you
And maybe, maybe some more years to enjoy you.

I love you, daughter.