I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Friday, October 13, 2006

You, My Friend

"To what do I owe this gift my friend?" - Creed.

Many friends I have made since the onset of my running interest; some have come and gone while others have remained and become as comfortable as my favorite singlet. All have left footprints in my heart.

The smile that ignites a chat turns the light conversation of uneventful runs into mutual exchanges of joys, worries and triumphs; their company has been the warmth in the cold winter runs. Their voice has been the reassurance my uncertainty seeks. Their silence the understanding my inner child awaits.

Their presence leaves no room for my laziness or unwillingness, and their wit diverts the anticipation of the miles ahead. At times, as the road tests our weary bodies, we challenge each other's reality with the license time has granted us. We build bonds with every mile we run.

In the long runs that require no company, they listen to my silence, accepting the person hidden underneath the daily stage. Their steady pace unconsciously matching mine gives my unsteadiness the balance I need.

I know that in the years ahead there will be some difficult races we will run together; the distance growing far between us and at times our pace will be off, sometimes too fast, one of us wishing the other away. But when I retreat to myself in the serene moment that follows a lonely run, I will treasure having shared so many roads with you, and I will celebrate the chance that has allowed me to know you, my friend.