I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, November 18, 2007

“Let me know what I can do for you” “Call me anytime, I’ll be happy to help you” as long as it’s not during dinner time, or I’m washing my hair, or doing laundry, or bathing my dog…

Promises like these are heard many times and they tend to pour in unsolicited in times of need. How many of these offers are real? Any at all? And is there a price involved in accepting them?

Most offers are pleasantries said as conversation lines used by people to exit out of uncomfortable situations similar to telling a mother that her newborn is beautiful…you just need to say something.

But not all promises are the same; there are the good souls who will answer the call, will drop what they are doing to come to your physical or emotional rescue, and they will probably go back home and record their good deed on their little black book of things they did for you.

Do we smile a 'thank for offering but no thanks' or do we accept it and engrave our name as evidence in the long list of favors we will never be able to repay?

It all depends on our need.

After all, a true favor doesn’t require a pay back…or does it?