I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Monday, March 17, 2008

Don't let the door hit you...

When one door closes does another door open? I read this in another blog a few months ago and gave it some thought then and as I do often, revisited the subject again for no reason at all…just because.

I like to fix things. When I was little I used to try to fix watches and radios. Now I concentrate on relationships and everything is a relationship; family, work, friends, love, neighbors, etc. I try until I am blue in the face (and that is hard with my brown complexion) Afraid to let that door shut, I keep my foot wedged in between to prevent it from closing. While I push with all my weight, I look at what I might have done to get me there and I try to make changes that will improve the present outcome. It forces improvement in me and for that I am grateful.

For the most part and not sure if there are any exceptions, once that door starts closing, no matter how hard you push, that door will eventually close. And if the boss thinks you suck, well…you suck and no amount of improvement will change his/her mind.

But when a door closes, it is not necessarily a bad thing. I left a job once without having another one lined up. I was afraid but when I walked away, I felt the relief of not having to fight to hold that door open anymore. And when I finally allowed a relationship to die, I finally allowed myself the space to heal and I found love again.

Fairy tales don’t always have happy endings…but I found a better job that I wouldn’t have found if I had stubbornly kept trying to stay at the other one.

When one door closes, it forces us to look inside and grow and it also forces us to invite new experiences in. So when a door starts to close, let it slam! And welcome the new adventure.