I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Prayer

Prayer has always been important. I learned to pray everyday for everything; pray for the lightning to stop, pray for the rain to come, pray to do well in school. Over the years, the image of God lost the long hair and white beard and God became a concept of hope. And prayer stayed.

I still pray often. Pray in the last miles of a marathon thinking of "Footprints" and asking God to carry me to the end. I sometimes give thanks as I run for the chance of being here not knowing when that chance may end the same as it is for everybody else but being more aware of it.

I pray for many reasons and sometimes I pray for no reason, just because I pray. I have prayed fiercely, I have prayed in despair, I have prayed in desperation, I have prayed for miracles and I have received miracles.

So when I recognized the number of the physician I had recently visited and had some tests done, I prayed. Doctors don't call to say hi. Doctors call for a reason and usually not a good one. The doctor called and I prayed.

There is power in prayer and sometimes that is all I have to go with. This may be one of those times.