I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

How about a Threesome?

I was part of one this past weekend, well, I was a spectator to one…no, not that kind of threesome! I watched an Olympic distance Triathlon for the first time. It consists of a 1500 meter swim; a 40K bike and a 10K run (why are all of these distances in Kilometers but marked in miles…?)



I must say it is pretty exciting. The distance is short enough that you don’t get that bored watching. And of course, it is almost enticing to consider participating in one but then, I have to think of one thing, if I suck at one sport, why take the chance of sucking at three?



Let’s break this down into segments; I float, I don’t swim but maybe I could get that under control a little but the bike….oh boy, that is a nightmare. My worst part of going to the beach is someone suggesting that we rent a bike. I hold on to the handles for dear life, I shake, no stability what’s so ever. That comes from learning in my teens, you see, being a third world baby, I didn’t have the luxury of a bike as I was growing up.

Lastly comes the run – the reason for that is because if the swim was last and the athletes were too tired, they could drown; in the run the worst that can happen is that they don’t finish. Anyway, the run…That, I can handle but I am not fast enough (or at all) to make up any lost time so whatever time I lost in the swim or the dreadful bike, I would not ever recover.

Back to the race, as a spectator, I saw the first men get out of the water, on the bike and then off the bike and on the road. Slowly more and more runners hit the 10K course. But, even as the mid-packers finish, some people are just getting off the bike and starting the run…that would be me.

So, with all of that in mind, I think I’ll stick to road races for now. Who knows, maybe this summer I’ll practice a little swimming but that bike…it will remain in the garage for now.