I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

She is so...unusual

The True Colors Tour last Saturday was so….unusual.

The first thing I noticed as I walked in was a couple of men running holding hands… After a while I realized most people were in couples…I was too but I was with my husband, now if I had been there with a female friend, I would have fit right in!

The show kicked off with Rosie O’Donnell; she was great and of course, talked about nothing but being a lesbian. She was followed by the B52s. I didn’t know them but picked up on the obvious fact that the lead singer was flamingly gay. The signs on the stage were all about equality for gays and lesbians.

In between performers there was a “filler”, kind of cute young guy whose back was so arched he gave a new meaning to the bend over backwards saying, he kept his hands above his waist and moved them incessantly while he talked in a theatrical kind of voice.

Half the audience looked like him. There were girls making out in public display. I don’t enjoy couples of any kind straight or otherwise making out in front of me…I came to watch a show and their display of affection is not something I paid to see.

Why is it that minority groups that are forced to fight for equality do it by acting outrageously different? That defeats their mission. If they are fighting for equality, then act as equal!

Regardless, the show was great. Cindy Lauper sang most of her great hits but when she sang “She Bop” it sounded so different and since she did not offer any graphic acting out like Madonna did in Like a virgin, I didn’t recognize the song until the very end.

As we walked to the car we wondered who was there for the show and who was there for the cause…or both. One thing is for sure, not all that were are, and not all that are were…