I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Threshold

The point that must be exceeded to begin producing a given effect or result or to elicit a response.


Once in a while I have been there. It is a place where it feels I can’t go any further, I feel my body collapsing, giving up but I persevere and then it happens, I reach that point I like to call threshold and I can go on forever. I don’t know what causes it. Physiologically, it is the place where my muscles cells have been trained to use more oxygen and get rid of the lactate faster. It is still painful and sometimes I might give up before reaching it. Sometimes I might look for an easy way out to end the pain. A quick fix that will get me out of the uncomfort of the moment. Those times are never satisfying and leave me with the feeling of a big L on my forehead.

Yet, I have done it. I have given up many times. Giving in to pain, thinking I can’t go no further, doubting what my body and my mind can do.

Others I have kept on, don’t know why sometimes I do and some I don’t. What makes me stronger and drives me to go on despite the pain.


But I know that those days when I keep going beyond pain and reach my threshold, I feel I can run forever. I enter a place where I float and the pain of the miles before is worth the enlightment I feel now. Those have been my best runs.. It makes me think that after pain there is always happiness. There is gotta be.

The threshold is not absolute to fitness only. It is found in other areas of our lives.

There are those dark moments in everyone’s lives that seem to never end. When the pain is so intense it does not seem possible that it will ever reach the other side and nothing seems to take it away, life loses focus and the only thing in our mind is how to get through the night or even the next minute, even if it takes giving up, giving in to someone who might mock your defeat.

Then it happens. We reach the threshold and although the pain can be intense, the next moment when it subsides opens a new beginning. Once we reach it, it took a lot of pain to reach this place of peace, and comfort, stay there.

Sometimes showing weakness to others can make you their target and your own target, as you feel your dignity getting lost. Don't sweat it, regain it.

Other times you might find comfort in their understanding. Regardless, the threshold must be reached from within. Work through pain and move beyond it.

Reach the threshold and get to know that place of no pain.