I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Thursday, August 28, 2008

What do you say:

Getting to a person's level I have always found to be the best way of relating to a person and to teaching a lesson if that is the intention. I can still remember a day in church when a 5 year old kid wearing a scarf sat listening to a mass she didn't understand until her name was listed in the sick list.

I sat behind her and after the service said to her "at one point I did not have hair either but look at me now (I pointed to my shoulder level bush)" she looked at me with huge dark eyes and smiled.

Yesterday it was different. A good looking 31 year old approached me to do his paperwork. Matters of work, he mentioned his medical treatment. I looked at him and expressing understanding and encouragement I said "it is going to be okay even if it doesn't seem now".
He, being a tall athletic army guy, squat to be at my sitting level and said "I have terminal cancer". Stumped, I said "well, you are getting treatment so it's not terminal"
Again, with a kind smile he replied "only to keep me alive a little longer. I had 40% chances of living 2 years, I lived a year already and now my chances are very slim" Then he added, "I want to make sure my 3 little girls are okay..."

What do you say?"

One of the very few times I was speechless. What could I say that has not been said? I closed my eyes when he left and prayed still not understanding why life can be so unfair.

One of those times I want to dial a number and talk to someone who will give me understanding.

Life is not fair we say.

How fair is it to him?

I am stumped.