I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Read Between the Lines

How are you?
Fine
I went to that place you like, I thought of you
……. (Silence)
How was your day? Anything exciting?
Not really
Everything okay?
Yeah
What are you doing?
Nothing
I hear the TV…,
Yeah
I miss you
Miss you too.
Okay, well, take care and I talk to you soon. Love you
Love you too.

My typical conversation with my son now at the University of Buffalo. I hang up feeling he is not interested in talking to me and I am okay with that, well…not okay but I understand and respect his choice.

Today the conversation was the same. At some point I heard TV background noise. I said the usual and right before I hang up he said “and now you are going to hang up!?”

I switched gears immediately without questioning his remark or justifying my actions and talked about his favorite subject, the one I have no clue about – politics, the debates, polls and VP choices and eventually switching over to other things more familiar to me like did you notice the make up on McKean's wife?

We had a nice conversation and I hang up feeling he had always wanted to stay on the phone that long, just didn’t know how to do it.

After 18 years by my side, he still doesn’t know….and I still don’t know.

We'll figure it out....