I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, October 01, 2008


Say What You Need to Say (but say it briefly)-
I have gotten to know a writer since he ran our Celebrate Life Half Marathon. I love his writing; it is highly personal, full of feeling, I can visualize what he describes, I can feel what he feels or felt in his writing. I love reading his articles....but he is lengthy.

I don't mind.

I have this minor task of editing and producing a runners club newsletter. One that, I am lucky if 1% actually reads and doesn't toss to the side or directly into the garbage can. Judging by the non-existing feedback I believe that is the case. Yet, I have this obligation to print not what I like but what might have a slighter chance to be read...even if it doesn't. I still have an obligation to the running club audience.

Likewise, I make an effort to read what others write and the newsletters others produce. I read and possitively comment on them understanding the effort that goes into them. I appreciate it and honestly enjoy their finished product.

So what do I do with an article that for me is great but I have to chop down to incoherent segments so that it fits a page (or two) and might, just might capture one person's attention?
What if I just printed the article full length and took the chance that a diferent 1% might actually enjoy it?

If it were my own newsletter - like a blog - with no obligation to the audience I would. But it is not.

That is why I enjoy the blog.