I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Forceful Tempo Runs

I avoid fast people as my long run companions (or short run or any run). They make me run faster...and I always feel I am slowing them down. Not a good combination of feelings for a run that is precious to me, my long distance run.

I went on one of my last long runs pre-surgery in the company of two runners. "It's my long distance run and I do a 10 min mile" I proclaimed. Sure enough, we hit the road, started a conversation and my first mile was 8.30. Afraid that I wouldn't be able to keep it up for 12 miles, I took the chance to suck it up for 4 and then announce I've had it.

I will not deny that by 6 I felt tired and by 8 I really wanted to stop but overall I clocked many miles around 8.30 and the rest all under 9. There is a theory somewhere about adding tempo runs to your training and getting faster. Not sure if that works or not, but this tempo run sure gave me confidence.

Not something I want to or can do on every run, but it felt good to accomplish it.
Sometimes being forced is not so bad.