I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Know Your Sources

In passing I was told that a guy I knew, someone’s husband, had made a pass at a woman. It might have happened at a party or before it, I am not certain. I am not disputing the woman’s allegations but wonder why she would tell somebody else of that incident if the guy was her friend’s husband, I wonder about her loyalty to her friend back then. But like with everything else, we don’t give much thought to it.

Then, after a while, it felt like a pebble in my shoe. I had been at that party. I remember that lady. She was introduced by the hostess, my friend, as her friend. She didn’t know anyone at the party other than in passing. And she stayed for a long time.

I was at that party too and I stayed until the end. I remember her being there after I left and I was the last person to leave besides her. I remember my friend saying she was surprised her guest had stayed that late and had only left after she started cleaning around her. I remember her telling me that the guest had insisted to dance with her when everyone was gone.

I wonder now. If the man had been too forward before or at the party, why would she be there for so long? Why would she stay until everyone was gone and it was only the husband and the wife left? What was she waiting for if anything? And if nothing, if she felt comfortable enough to stay at somebody’s house after everyone was gone…why then make that comment?

You’ve gotta know your sources. Some people lack loyalty and integrity and won't stop at anything to cause damage. We can only hope that we keep some kind of integrity in ourselves.