I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Little lies, white lies, do you lie?

I do.

I believe some lies are good. White lies are necessary, helpful. Think of a newborn and how proud the parents are showing everyone their picture. We all swallow hard, clear our throats and say “yes; that is a beautiful baby”.

We all lie to some extent and I am okay with that.

It is major lies between people we trust that I have a problem with. It messes with trust and trust is a trait that once found in a relationship must be treasured. Trust is difficult to achieve and where there is trust, there is no room for lies.

Some people are adamant about it; they swear they don’t lie; no white lies, no little lies, no lies. They do not lie!

But, don’t they? My grandmother used to say “Between Heaven and Earth nothing is hidden” meaning that sooner or later, the truth will be found. And that, now I believe. Sooner or later, one day without looking for it, in the most unexpected place and circumstances, a lie is disclosed.

Now, we all can justify twisting the truth a little, we might not want to answer a question, and that is okay. But if you answer a question you don’t want to answer, don’t answer it with a lie and if you do, do not make the statement “I don’t lie” because you just did.

Sooner or later, between Heaven and Earth nothing is hidden and if you lie, when you lie (if you claim not to) it will be disclosed.

And then everyone (or the one you lied to) will know you lied!