I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, October 12, 2008



Puppy Love

My son had visited his female friend every afternoon in a row for 5 months including weekends. I tried to explain that too much is not always best and the family at some point might object…she might object. He did not listen.

Finally I had the chance to meet the family on a social event. While I visited at their table for a few minutes, I thanked them for allowing my son to visit their home every day explaining that I had tried to dissuade him. The father’s reply shocked me, “No, thank you because since he visits her, she smiles everyday, she is happy. She is changing for the better since she knows him.

I thought about my introvert son. How much he had also changed since he knew her. How happier he looked, how he had a place to go, a person to visit. She had given him a place to be. She had given him a reason.

Their puppy love will one day end. But I hope that both will remember fondly the joy they gave each other. The changes each evolved in one another that made them better people existed in them already but they each helped the other find it and bring it to the outside. That in itself, the thrust the relationship gave them to bring the best of them from within to the surface is a gift each will owe each other for life.