I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Monday, November 24, 2008




Baby, it's cold outthere!

Normally I don’t write an account of my running but today deserves mention. 17 degrees at the start with gusty winds and 20 when we finished with stronger gusty winds.

It is too soon for me to be wearing all these layers of clothing. I met my two running partners not at the regular 8 a.m. meeting time but at 9 to allow for temperatures to go up a little, it didn’t happen, the rise in temps that is, the meeting did happen much to my dismay.

It was 17 degrees. Within the first mile the rim of my glasses hurt my face, it felt like it was cutting into it. My lungs had a hard time bringing in oxygen and my hands were numb within minutes.

The non runners will ask what were you doing out there??? And even I wondered the same.

My run was absolutely atrocious, maybe doing two 10 milers back to back is not a good idea yet, maybe the cold air or not enough sleep had something to do with it. I will never blame it on the wine. I struggled while my running partners waited for me when I walked…they are novice runners, mind you. Novice runners who want to do their first marathon.

I had offered to help them with the training, give them the one I follow and offer tips. Today I asked a question I should have asked a long time ago. “Hey, what is your weekly mileage?”

Just mid 50s.

Fif fif fifties? I only get that high during the week of my 20 milers….

This woman needs no help training for a marathon, she is already trained!

Maybe I should let her train me.