I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Don't Know Any Better

Visiting the town of Van Buren, NY for my second speeding ticket in 3 months, I was amazed at the friendliness of the people in that part of the state (excluding the trooper, that is). From gas stations to Dunkin Donuts to store clerks these people were the friendliest I’ve seen in a long time.

It struck me as unusual because I deal with so many unfriendly human beings some who are plain nasty and perpetually angry. By nature of my paying job and other dealings, I come across and deal with a diverse group of individuals many of whom can be considered unhappy clients which makes relationships difficult.

OK, fine. Maybe they were screwed in the past, but after a year and a half since I’m here and became aware of the problems I have been cleaning up the mess, working to make everything right, listening and respecting their every need and basically kissing their butts. But they remain unhappy, angry, even after I show them what they should see on their own, that the issues of the past no longer exist.

I have this tendency to fix everything and in doing so, sometimes I over extend myself. I say nice things, remind them how valuable they are and I hold back saying anything bad in hopes of keeping the peace. After all, I don’t want to work in a hostile environment but apparently some people can’t function in anything different.

Although for business reasons and other reasons we hold on to some of these difficult relationships, sometimes it is a favor when those who don’t treat us with love and respect walk again. Phew! Difficult at first but a blessing at the end.

I have concluded that those who are angry with themselves don’t know how to be any different. They might argue that that is the only place where they feel or act that way, that is a bunch of BS, we all are directors of our own movie (“The Four Agreements”). So the best I can do is do the best I can do in my own production.

Some people must be left alone in their misery.