I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Unseasonably warm day. Windy, humid but….58. Can’t complain when normally I would be running in 20 degrees.

I don’t think any of us wanted to be there, not after the party we all attended the night before. But some things must be done and getting a 13 mile run on a weekend is one of them.

I was also going to run the first 4 miles with a girl who lives an hour away…how can any of us blow off our run when this person is willing to drive 2 hours round trip for a short run…beats me. So off we went.

It was fun, but the last 5 were painful. By then we all had separated and were running solo. I just wanted to get done!

What was on my mind was the restaurant where we meet every Sunday. It is the also the restaurant that hosts Celebrate Life Half Marathon. A race I have co-chaired with another runner for the past 5 years. The restaurant is for sale and even though we are still using it for our 6th race on March 8th, the appearance of it reminded me that the restaurant is coming to an end, and possibly the race too.

A tree that fell two weeks ago is still there, in pieces. A power line knocked down by the tree is still there. The snow has melted but the parking lot is framed by the snow pushed to the curb by the town plows. The owners have not done anything to maintain the place.

I can’t think of any other place that could hold the number of people our race brings and still maintain the same course. There are some alternatives but every single one of them will take away from the “perfect fit” that this race once was.

This race has meant a lot to me, to us. We created it out of nothing. Its organization, the hard work of months of preparation, the numerous calls, text messages, instant messages, lunches, coffees, dinners, drinks, we – the race directors – had among ourselves to put it together. Our surprise the first year when our goal of breaking 100 was surpassed with 225 runners. The good it does. All that has made it more than a race to me.

And more than anything that feeling after. The feeling that we had pulled it off. We had organized the only half marathon and one of the best races in the area.

As I was running, I remembered my friend, an old man, a psychologist and runner who passed away a couple of years ago. We had told me that we could do “magic” – “you two can do anything”.

We can’t.

Not anymore.

Celebrate Life might be coming to an end and there might not be anything we can do – or want to do.

This might be one of those things that has lived its cycle and needs to let be…nothing.