I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Saturday, January 24, 2009


I Just Want To Be Average

My running partner/NP said I probably need steroids for the associated pain and discomfort of the shingles. "No way, I don't take anything" I was quick to reply. "Give it a couple of days and then decide" she advised.

On Friday, after leaving work early for the second time in a week, I walked into my doctor's office and with my arms up in a sign of surrender I said "I need something". She lifted my blouse and uttered a "wow". Not the "wow" I like to hear.

"This is the worst case of shingles I have ever seen. How do you function?"

3 1/2 years ago, after waking up from an emergency surgery, I heard something similar from the surgeon "I've never seen anything like that, this is the worst case of twisted intestines I've ever seen. How did you function?"

It is nice to be the **st of something usually when that st is associated with something positive, the best race, the highest score, the nicest whatever. The worst is not what I want to be.
I just want to be average.