I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Friday, January 09, 2009



Learning The Game

We are learning this game, practice makes better.

He has come home a few times since he went away to College and when he is home, it feels like he has never left…his room gets messy, the tv is on with no one watching it, the alarm goes off for no reason and so it goes…

Our drive back to the campus this time was the same as before. We talked for two hours before he dozed off…I have that impact on men.

We discussed a lot of topics and then we got on to his topic (maybe that is when he dozed off)

“So what do you think of what Israel is doing?”
What Israel is doing?” I said hoping to get a clue.
“Bombarding Gaza, killing women and children”
I saw an opening, I could talk about that sentence, the killing of inocent people, but I know my son, bluffing with him about current event does not work. When one knows nothing about current or past events is time to be honest.

“I don’t know much about it” (or anything)
“It’s been in the news for the past two weeks”
“I listen to local news (in between songs…)”and he dozed off.

As we were arriving at the campus I asked the standard question: do you want to get something to eat?
“Not hungry”
“Do you want me to get you something else for your room?”
“No”

We arrived and I helped him unload. My navigation skills showed their inefficiency as I tried the wrong doors over and over.

‘This way!!! You should know the way” He said with exasperation.

I smiled remembering my own impatience with my mother -with the same measure you measure it will be measured back to you-…yeah, I learned that in Sunday school. I think I got it.

We arrived, unpacked, I said good bye and just as I was leaving I said “would you like to go with me to get gas? I need some advil, my back is killing and I am a bit hungry”
“Okay”
“I know you are not hungry but how about that restaurant?”
“Fine, but I saw this one…” My son replies.
So we sat at a sushi bar and enjoyed our favorite meal…the one he was not hungry for.

His visit reminded me of many old memories and made me aware of much more.

His short visits don’t make me appreciate him more; it only makes me enjoy his time more and it reminds me that I don’t need to sweat the little stuff, at least not all the time. The dishes on the bed, the light on…I don’t waste time arguing over it…We enjoy each other’s company. Let me rephrase that, if he dozes off during my conversation, maybe I am the only one enjoying it!