I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Thursday, January 15, 2009


The Silver Lining

I thought it was something on the top of the roof.

The pain started a few days ago. Regretfully, I am used to pain and so I brush it off not wanting to pay attention to it. If I pay attention to pain I might have to face the cause of it and I’d rather not.

So I blamed the back pain on sitting down too many hours. Of course, my family blamed it on running too much! Not a chance.

Then I saw the little bubbles and I called my friend, a nurse. Shingles, she said immediately. One sided, pain in the back on line with rash in the front. Tiredness, feverish, burning sensation…yeah, shingles.

I did a quick reading and found the reasons for it to be aging, injury or stress.

Aging…that’s a matter of perspective
Injury…other than a few surgeries, no injuries
Stress…none in the last 4 or 5 weeks.

Maybe it is a cumulative effect of one of the most stressful years of my life that 2008 was. But thankfully, I ended it with a switch of attitude, or a change in emotions or both. I don’t consider my life stressful right this minute when the shingles have appeared.

So as I tossed and turned in bed in pain watching the hours go by until I could take another ibuprofen, I indulged myself in some self pity. I am tired of pain, of surgeries, of health issues. But as morning came I realized how lucky I am. I have had some issues, no doubt, but it could be so much worse and it is not. Look for the silver lining.

In the midst of winter I realized there was in me an invincible summer -Albert Camus