I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Why, Why?


I wish I had a picture of this run but I don’t think a camera would have worked in the below zero temperatures.

Being race directors of Celebrate Life Half Marathon we had no choice but to be there especially after announcing a new location for the race. And to my surprise and disappointment, 18 other runners showed up too.

I say disappointment because if no one had shown up, I would have been very happy going to the gym or better yet, staying home.

It was -5 when we started. I wore two and three of everything; two pairs of gloves, a headband and a hat, coldgear long sleeve shirt, fleece vest and a jacket. And if I had been able to wear two pairs of shoes I would have done that too.

There was no wind and the sun was out and that helped our run a little. Honestly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be but it was bad enough.

It was cold, frigid, brutal.

4 hours later I drove the course again picking up the water and Gatorade we plant for the runners and by then, what I picked up were jugs of solid ice. Brrrrrrrrrrr

I hope I’ll never have to run in a temperature like that again. But if I do....I'll ask the same question, why, God, why?