I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, February 18, 2009


The Freedom of Blogging

I first heard of a blog when a friend of mine invited me to visit hers. She referred to it as a place where apprentice writers post their pieces of writing. I soon learned that some use it not only for that purpose but for many others…

Her purpose was indeed to enhance her writing skills so I visited hers consistently for a while and then broadened my horizons to a couple of other blogs that visited hers. I seldom commented.

20 months ago I started my own. At first, it was an outlet for my emotions with no one really reading what I wrote. Slowly I added a few things I had written for my running newsletter. And lately I write more consistently. I write simply because I like to and because I can.

Some feel I don’t write well enough to blog. The way I see it is no different than if I were writing a column for the local newspaper. Those who like it would read it every time it’s published and those who don’t will simply turn the page or as in a blog, move on with the click of the mouse.

Some feel blogging is exposing private information out to strangers. I have a favorite columnist in our local newspaper; in fact I bought his book outlining his favorite 500 columns. I love his style, his humor, the way he expresses his view. And that is the key word, his view. I know the name of his wife, his children, what colleges they attend, whether they do well or not and even what cell plan they subscribe to. He writes about life and unless he wants to write fiction, he has to talk about himself and his life.

Same analogy goes for the blog.

In addition, one of the major perks of blogging is the freedom to say anything, and not only say it but write it in any way I want to or I’m capable of. After all, most of the readers, as in a newspaper column, are unknown to us. However, today I wrote a post that was “gender specific” and after a few minutes, I withdrew it. I don’t want to offend anyone, not that it was offensive but I don’t want to make anyone uncomfortable. Maybe I care too much for my unknown readers. But the same as with a newspaper column, that is the way that it should be.

Maybe blogging doesn’t offer as much freedom as I thought...