I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Want To Remember

As I have written many times, I am a “words” person. I get deep into the words of a song or poem and I can relate to what the author expresses either by experience or because it is written so exquisitely that it takes me to that place where they were when they pasted their feelings on paper.

Yesterday, I read one of the most beautiful pieces of writings that I have come across in the last few months if not years. A piece called “I can’t remember you” written by Kathi in 2006.

It was just beautiful.

The common theme, time = distance, reminded me that as time passes we can still remember that someone existed, but how their existence impacted our lives is not clearly remembered any longer. Time takes its toll in life and in that which was once important.

There are feelings that grow in the distance, that become stronger in its absence, feelings that challenge the adversity of time. But for the most part even the strongest of them and the more lasting ones, anger and sadness, fade over time. And after a while we are left with the idea of what it was, but not the feeling of it.

How many people can remember a kiss, a kiss that once made them tremble and get lost in it? The memory still holds the “thought” of it, the idea of it, but not the feeling that made the world stop in the arms of that person.

There are experiences, places, loves, that will always live in a small corner of our hearts, but after a while the memories of them inhabit that space stripped of tangibility, glued to a past by nothing more than the faint recollection of a feeling.

The passage of time is a good thing, I guess. Without it we would remain suspended in a state of mourning over what was and no longer is. I can’t help but feel sad when so much becomes so little. Time goes on. Nevertheless, it is those corners of our hearts that shape how we love, how we connect, how well we trust and how much we allow into our experience. Not so little, after all.

Thank you for the memories.