I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, February 22, 2009



You've Done Wrong

Sometimes I find myself in a conversation in which I have no desire to participate. Conversations that I know are not going to end well if I dare give my honest opinion are the type I try to avoid. I learned a long time ago that bosses and parents don’t want to know what we think if it disagrees with them.

So, I refrain from commenting when I know my battle is lost from the very beginning. My technique is simple, I try to end the conversation and I leave.

One of those conversations is talking about how much wrong others have done. This coming from the same source that taught me to always look for the good in people is repelling to my system.

As I listen or try not to listen, my mind raises with rebuttals I don’t allow myself to verbalize. How much of that perceived wrongfulness is really true? Haven’t you done the same also? How about the times when that same person helped you? How about this? How about that?

But I remain quiet. It’s better that way.

Not that I have not at some point been guilty of the same malady for I have. In those days I allowed what I perceived as hurtful to overshadow everything else. But when life or the potential of no life slapped me in the face, my perspective changed.

Trying to direct my attention to the good I have received in spite of what else has been thrown my way is a lesson that I must constantly take a refresher course on so that I never stray down that bitter road of anger and resentment again.

Looking for the good in people and making an effort to see and remember the good in them, may be perceived as being naïve. But it is better than the alternative. Storing the wrong whether is perceived or real, becomes a very heavy burden to add to the baggage that I already carry. In addition that not acknowledging the good in others does not take it away from them, it only prevents me from enjoying it.

And I’d rather not take the chance of missing so much.