I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Saturday, February 21, 2009



To Serve and Protect

I must pre-phase this post by stating that I admire the men and women who serve in the armed forces. Through my work I get to meet many of them and sometimes I am fortunate to hear some of their amazing and often sad stories.

The other day we had a visitor in the office. An uninvited visitor. A little baby mouse. The uninvited guest proceeded to run all over the office, a trap was set against my advice. You see, there are some species that I don’t want to have anything to do with but I don’t want them killed, at least not in my presence. Mice are that kind of species to me. But I digress.

Anyway, the mouse ate all the peanut butter on the trap and more invigorated than ever ran around the office even more. At some point I was speaking to the wife of an active duty officer – a civilian - and at the same time, there was a full blown female Lieutenant in the lobby waiting to be assisted.

As the uninvited guest made his appearance, the civilian woman pointed to it and said to me in a very calm voiced filled with laughter “there is a mouse running around”. She did not move.

The Lieutenant jumped on a chair and we had to help her calmed down.

Bravery does not apply to all circumstances, after all. Only those that matter….