I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Friday, March 06, 2009

Final Hours

36 hours away from a race we never imagined would reach this level, our minds run a race of their own trying to keep up with the last minute details. Increase food, make signs, find volunteers, and remember to thank sponsors properly.

In between, there are a few moments that make us stop and either laugh or simply shake our heads. A couple of calls today deserve mentioning.

Can I speak to the Race Director of the Life run marathon?

This is she but it is a half marathon. Celebrate Life Half Marathon.

Is the run 12 miles?

No, it is 13.1.

Oh, in that case I’ll see you at another race; I’m not ready for it.

Well, what’s your long distance mileage?

4 miles.

……Oh, thanks – take care

Why are you inquiring about a race you think is 12 miles when you are only ready to do 4?

Beats me.

Another one,

What’s the weather going to be like? How can I check it?

Go to weather.com

Spell it. How do I find that?

I’m speechless.

And yet one more;

The registration says “Rain or shine”. The forecast says 30% chance of showers. Are you going to cancel it?

And at the gym a man approaches me.

I heard you run marathons. I am interested in running one. Can you give me information?

Sure, you need a base to start. Maybe 20 to 25 miles a week. How many miles do you run?

5.

A day?

No, a week.

Oh…how long have you been running?

Since last week.

I’m speechless.

Ambition is a good thing.