I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, April 14, 2009


Things

I was referred to a Rheumatologist due to the persistent swelling of my knee. Wikipedia says that a Rheumatologist is a clinician who specializes in Rheumatology…that really cleared things up for me a little. Nevertheless, I made the appointment and visited her yesterday.

I sat in her office reading all the informative posters on the walls. I always do that. I like to read the expected symptoms so I can scare myself and self diagnose my problem before the doctor does.

One of the symptoms besides the swelling was weight loss. Not that I am complaining but I might have indeed lost a gram or two. Sharing my findings with my coworker who is trying to lose weight before her wedding, she asked with a concerned look if it is contagious. “I might need to sit with you”, she said. I love her humor.

My manager discussed a show she watched the other night about people who fall in love with "things" - we have very productive meetings here at the office. These people have steady relationships with objects, turned on by the delicate curves of the Eiffel Tower, for instance, but unable to consummate their union... Another woman seducted by a fence but she made sure she brought part of the railing to her bedroom. I must say that the benefit I see of relationships with inanimate objects is that they don't talk back but in any event, it is weird.

This morning I was reading about people who in the last year have fallen overboard off of cruise ships. I have never been on a cruise. The closest I have been to one is a dolphin watch cruise in Florida and frankly I don’t see what would make me want to let go of the rail and dip into the ocean. What I find more interesting is that the ones falling overboard are females…married females. If my husband offered to book a cruise for our anniversary, I think I might just run the other way.

Come to think of it, I thought I saw a Norwegian Cruise brochure on his desk….