I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, May 05, 2009



No Respect

I have over extended myself lately writing about healthy living and running. Back at my erratic writing.

One thing I dislike is lack of respect for others.

Irrespective of a person’s beliefs, social status or education, every human being (and even non-humans) has the right to be respected. Respect is having regard for people’s property, status and feelings, it does not require understanding, liking or subscribing to other’s values, it simply means having regard for who they are.

Indifferent of our feelings, people deserve to be treated with dignity. My grandmother used to say that a man who respected his wife would never discuss with or admit to her of having a mistress (what an oxymoron). But think about it, regardless of the circumstances no one should discuss how great the new person is, how different and wonderful…. that kind of sharing is not only insensitive but disrespectful.

The way I talk to my doctor is not the same way I address my peers no matter how much equality I preach. However, regardless of our different status, we share mutual respect for each other in our professional relationship. Our difference in status makes our interaction different, but our respect the same.

Having the arrogance to think we can take others property and do as if it were ours is categorically wrong; I have heard of coworkers eating other people’s lunches and then justifying it as if it presented no offense – “oh, I didn’t think you were going to eat that since you are on a diet”…. it is the same as if I borrowed someone’s book and removed pages because the pictures might be offensive…plain disrespectful and offensive.

The epitome of the offense, however, is not so much the action but the lack of accountability to the wrongdoing justifying it in the typical “the devil made me do it” attitude in a lame attempt to opaque our actions and put them on the other person’s lap.

Going through life stepping on others with disregard for their feelings sets ground for relationships that are seldom sustainable.

Disrespect is hurtful and demeaning to others and it hurts the inner worth of the offender.

Much of what we do and accomplish in our lives depends on how we respect ourselves and the respect we give others. Recognizing and accepting differences, taking accountability for our actions, treating others with dignity and consideration is the foundation of successful relationships and inner peace.

There will be success in the consideration of other’s feelings and the respect of their fundamental rights.