I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, May 26, 2009


The Observant Runner

I have never paid attention to anything around me and I still don’t. I can, however, remember what a person said or if the story changed the second or third time around but can’t remember what they wore and I can not remember a house I visited no matter how many times I’ve been there.

Conversely, running has made me more aware of my surroundings. I have become an observant runner. No, I still don’t remember the bi-level at the end of the road or the pick up truck in the driveway, or as it is in Sullivan County, the refrigerator on the porch. But I notice the breeze and I curse the guts of wind. I welcome the drizzle in the scorching suns of August. I notice the drivers who smile and also the ones who frown and the ones who drive too close to me especially when they splash me with water! I enjoy the snow when it covers the trees and I notice the ice when it floats in the lake.

Those things I remember. But although I still don’t remember what I cooked yesterday or how I made it, I remember the last time I had a great run and more than all, I remember running when I am away from it.

Like a lover, I remember and treasure it more in its absence.