I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Thursday, May 07, 2009


Tell Me Why?


One of the most difficult questions to answer accurately or at all is why do you love so and so. You’d think that it would be easy to recite a list of attributes and assets we find in the person who captured our heart. It is not so.

In fact it is easier to be more specific about the things we find annoying; snorts at night, the empty carton of milk in the fridge, than it is to specifically name the reason for our love.

Is it because the person we fall in love with does not fit the category of the perfect love? Not the tall dark man with the big eyes and the great paying job. Great loves that are remembered are usually formed with people who drove us crazy, who made us angry, with whom we had little in common… and yet we loved them without knowing why, because, because we loved them.

There is no equation that can be analyzed and understood here. It is all emotions. It is all there rooted deep down in the very bottom of our heart.

I heard a phrase years ago. I don’t know who said it but it goes something like this “Why do I love her (him)? Because it is she (he), because it is I”.

Why do I love….?

Because…I don’t know. Because there is something in the way that they look, in the sound of their voice, damn it even in the ring of the phone! Because with that person the sense of being “me” is so okay. Because there is a level of comfort exclusive with them. Because there is a trust that goes beyond trusting. Because nothing else matters, nothing else exists only the love that we feel even if we can’t answer that question.

Why do I love you? Because I do.