I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Friday, June 26, 2009



Urgent Mode

  • I don’t follow celebrities; since I seldom watch TV, I hardly ever know who is a celebrity anymore. I do, however, remember Farrah Fawcett. The hair we all wanted and tried to have. My frustration because mine was too curly and my smile nothing like hers.

Her name and image came back a couple of years ago when the news of her battle against anal cancer made headlines.

No different from a regular person except that celebrities have the means to get better care, alternative treatments, etc. her death today after a long fight against her disease blows away the illusion that strong will overcomes every obstacle. Like it is for everybody else, when your time is up, it’s up.

Why bother fighting then, if that is the case? I’m being morbid. But it’s much more than that. Forget the illness.

How long do we fight, in general terms, for what is unattainable?

How long do we lie to ourselves before resigning to the cruel fact that it’s not going to be okay?

At different points of our lives we go to extremes pursuing a marathon goal, a lost love, a lost friendship.

Listening to her partner state he loved her more in the last two years than ever before, I wonder if we live on an urgent mode, acting only when it’s too late. Hurting others in the process and making up when it’s too late.

Qualities, assets, traits, of a person are remembered fondly when that person is gone, lost, dead. I almost want to say why bother.

Tragedy has a way of accelerating emotions. Rather than waiting for misfortune to put things in perspective, we can use our present ignorance to accept and appreciate people; avoid hurting them so that the apology never comes too late.

If we knew the future we could save our best effort for that which will yield positive results but without that knowledge all we can do is do the best we can.