I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, July 12, 2009


Catskill Relay 50K

I avoided running this race as much as I could. I ran it two years ago and the memories of that day in the blazing sun still haunt me. But reluctantly, out of excuses this morning I laced up my sneakers and with a cup of coffee in my hand headed over to Hanoffee Park. I paid my $10 entry fee and hoped…

I had not team and I secretly hoped no one would need me. Sure enough, one team was short a person and asked me to fill in.

I was scheduled to do leg 5 – a 10K similar to all the others. They all have one hill and that hill is about 5 miles long. After finishing leg #3, the person I was riding with asked me to take over before he fainted from exhaustion. So here I was, jumping from the car to run totally uphill on my first impulse. I cursed until I made it to the first mile, then cursed some more til I got to the second and so on. At some point my support vehicle missed the turn and I was left with no support for the last 3 miles.

I made it.

It really wasn’t bad once I got back to my senses and stopped hallucinating. The finish line had a nice spread of food but I had to leave because my services as a cab driver were needed by my kids at home. So I grabbed a sandwich (gotta get my monies worth!) and drove home.

I'll come up with some excuses next year but I'll probably do it again.