I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dear Summer Visitor:

Dear Summer Visitor:

I am glad you are here. I feel honored that you choose to spend your summers with us and out of all the places in the East Coast, you choose us.

I enjoy having you. The roads are empty without you and some stores even close in your absence. That’s how important you are to us. Others, like Walmart, look forward to your return. You increase their sales and make shopping a bit difficult for us in the process but that’s okay, I don’t really shop there much. You visit our gym and at times have forced me off the treadmill where I'm doing my speed work so you can walk. That's okay, you pay membership too.

When you walk on our roads, I slow down and smile and I move to the other side to allow you to take most of the road. When I run on weekends, I share the road with you. It would be nice if you smiled, waived back or even nodded. Anything to let me know you are as glad to see me as I am to see you. Maybe you are not glad to see me but I live here, these are my roads and we gladly share them with you.

There are a couple of things I want to point out. Our traffic rules are the same as they are anywhere else. Red light means you stop. It is not okay to pass me on the left on a double line. We do have designated parking areas where you can drop off all 12 kids of yours. It is not safe to do it in the middle of our busy avenue, not when you are double parking and then giving them instructions that take another 5 minutes.

Our speed limit means you drive at that speed – some of us go faster but it is okay if you don’t want to. We would appreciate it though if you did not drop into the single digits.

Please carry out your conversations with your friends in the privacy of your home, or establishment. Please do not do it out of your car window; it obstructs traffic both ways as the person you are talking to is driving in the opposite direction.

I do hope you enjoy your stay with us. It is always nice to have you. I hope you are looking forward to seeing me next year because….I live here, these are my roads.