I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, July 26, 2009


Enjoying my Company


I admit it’s been a long time since I have wanted company in my runs. However, I can’t blame the quality of them on the absence of company, my runs have simply sucked, all of them.

Today I ran with my running partner and miraculously the run was great; disgustingly humid but great.

I haven’t always run with company. There have been times when running alone has fit my mood; times when it has been easier to run alone so I can let the tears run free and times when running alone has calmed my feelings and it has dissipated my fears.

The same with wine.

Running and wine – at different times, of course - have been the only company I have wanted for a while. Those two have seen me cover the same grounds and I have shared with both the same emotions.

I have handled my emotions the same way in the company of both.

I am in a different place now. Not better nor worse, simply different. I have accepted that my runs are not always great but I am enjoying company in my runs as well as I am enjoying company with my wine. I am enjoying sharing my runs, devouring the miles while engaged in a conversation that ranges from the economic crisis to the choice of dog food, than I have in a long time. I am enjoying what makes my running and my wine more enjoyable.

It takes perseverance and will to train and build up mileage to be able to enjoy long runs without injury. But more than anything, it requires the desire and acceptance to make it happen. The same kind of desire and acceptance that company requires.