I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Saturday, August 22, 2009



Forestburgh Punishment

Have I said enough times that I hate 5Ks? No, not enough so let me say it again. I.HATE.RUNNING.5Ks.

I only run them for support when I know the Race Director and Eureka, I know a lot of race directors!

Today’s was…hard, aren’t they all hard? Challenging course with a humidity factor of 90+% . I did poorly; I felt poorly, I looked poorly. But heck, I got a medal. Obviously, there must have been only 3 women in their 40s running in the race (the others were walking so I was able to beat those). I don’t like to medal when my time sucks and I feel so crappy. But whatever, I got it and I’ll hang it in my hall of fame.

I walked more times than I normally do. I thought of ways to get out of it by mile 2…ok, maybe I can say I twisted my ankle; or I saw an old time friend and decided to walk with her but they were summer home visitors who I don’t know so that wouldn’t fly. Somehow I finished it and of course, there was a photographer there to capture that Kodak moment. Damn!

At the end of the race, a group of us walked over to the river and sliding in the mud were able to get to the water and freshen up. I wonder what our spouses would think of our Woodstock experience after a 5K. No skinny dipping though. All very proper.

That was actually fun. The water felt good but it was of a rusty color, some said it was due to the incredible amount of rains we have had. Heck, I just hope it was not mixed with some radioactive waste. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow when we wake up (if we wake up). Ok, I am kidding. GOD, I am only kidding!

That was my experience for the weekend. I won’t have to run another one for another month. By then, the humidity and heat factor will be lower so I will come up with another reason for my poor performance other than the fact that I hate 5Ks.