I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Is This The End?

10 months after the surgery to repair the meniscus tear in my left knee I still deal with issues of pain and swelling. Sometimes I think I was better with the tear intact. I had swelling but no pain and I was running long distances at a good clip - for me, that is.

I ran each leg of the Catskill Relay 2 to 3 minutes slower than my 2007 performance in similar weather condition and identical segments. In addition to running more slowly, I also had pain.

This is not the way it is supposed to be.

Yesterday I experienced a shooting burning pain in my toes, bad enough that it made me stop. Nerve issues now?

One thing that can be very frustrating is not finding a solution to the issues at hand. Not being able to have a promising treatment that will rid off the pain and the swelling and everything else that seems to be creeping on that knee.

I hear people say often "I can't run, I have bad knees" and honestly I felt if they wanted to run, they would run. I am beginning to wonder now.

Are my days numbered? will I be one of them telling runners on a treadmill "I used to run but I have bad knees"?

Maybe that is why I don't blog so much about running because I have nothing to say other than whine.

I rather drink wine.