I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, August 04, 2009


Not Right
I seldom feel the way I felt today.

Today, after a woman left the office with her 4 year old, I yelled “People like this should not have children”.

What did the woman do? Maybe nothing big enough to get her in trouble but enough to disturb me.

The first thing I noticed was that when the kid tried to see who she was talking to, the woman pushed her face or slapped her, not sure which. And during the 20 minutes they were there, all I heard was “Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!” “Shut UUUUUUP”

I finally made my way to the area where they were sitting and offered the kid a coloring book. She started scribbling frantically and said “will you send this to my nanny in California?” I asked a silly question “do you miss your Nanny?” and the little girl said “yes, but I am not allowed to miss her because I get spanked when I cry for her”.

She probably got spanked for telling me that.

I tried to use the few minutes I had to tell her it was okay to miss her and I reminded her she was beautiful – she replied ‘I know”. I’m sure she knows because her Nanny told her not because her mother ever let her know.

Before I left her, I offered her more crayons and told her mother she could take more books. I was desperately trying to make up for the abuse I was witnessing.

When the woman left, she thanked me and called her daughter “princess”. Maybe at some point she figured out a public office was not the right place to mistreat her child.

She’ll make up for lost time once she gets home.

Women like that should not have children.