I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Thursday, September 03, 2009



From a Distance

When my friend told me that one of her triathlon training partners had quit the Ironman World Championship at mile 16 of the marathon I quickly said What??? She didn’t. Why? I would have walked, she could have… I would have…. The truth is that I don’t know what I would have done because I have never been in a competition that takes over 11 hours. I have only looked at it from a distance and from a distance it is easier to know what to do….or to think we know.

Take raising children for example. There are countless of instances that I wish I had handled in a different way. I lost my temper more than I thought I would, and made decisions that today I would have done differently. I did the best I could at the time and my best is always different depending on where I am in life.

Before having truly loved, I vehemently vowed never to let anyone hurt me or treat me poorly. Would I ever cry in front of someone out of love? Hell, No! -Bang – been there done that.

Life ain’t as easy as I thought it was.

My “if I were you I would’va, should’va, could’va mean nothing when I have not been in that person’s shoes or in my own but in a different place and time. I am realizing finally that I can only listen to a person, I can never offer them what they should have done, nor can anyone offer it to me.

It has taken a few slappings around to realize that I don’t have the answers to everything and at times no answers to anything! I can only do my best, realizing that my best of today is not the same best of tomorrow; it all is shaded by my position in life at the time.

I will only fully appreciate my position in life when I am found face to face with it and understand then that life is far more different than it appears from a distance.