I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, September 16, 2009



A Parenthesis in my Life

There are days that are gloomy, dark, depressing.

There is a certain sadness that lingers around in the air. I feel withdrawn, detached.

Days when my heart feels withdrawn from the outside are a parenthesis in my calendar. That is all I want them to be, all I can allow them to be, an emotion departing from the norm, a digression. That is what something negative should be, only a parenthesis, not the entire sentence.

As a runner I have those parenthesis in my training. Seasons that are great with a bad run that is independent from the rest. They are contained in that bracket so that my running can resume its positive course.

Conversely, when all my runs are poor and the few good ones are inside the parenthesis, the experience is negative making me doubt that it can be good again.

Parenthesis can be useful (in writing and life), and I use them (like I’m doing here). They can help a relationship by removing from the norm the part that needs to be contained and isolated so it doesn’t damage the rest of it.

Let’s put a parenthesis around what went wrong, the comment, the action, the moment that upset us and continue writing our story without allowing an incident to ruin our effort.

I don’t want a parenthesis in my life where only your digression is the only positive thing you can leave behind.

Write the paragraph with me, use the parenthesis.