I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Friday, November 20, 2009



Gimme my Coffee, Ma'am

I was an hour late but maybe it was too early for her.

I ordered my coffee medium cinnamon, cream only, a wheat bagel and a ½ dozen donuts, the donuts were not for me, mind you.

"One donut?"

" No, half dozen"

" Half dozen bagels?"

" No, one bagel. Half dozen donuts."

" How many bagels?"

The Manager in the back came to the rescue, gave me my goodies and nicely instructed the girl at the register on how to ring up my order since she was keying it incorrectly.

“Sorry about all of that”, the Manager said.

“It’s not a problem, not at all,” I said with a smile.

I picked up my coffee and heard the girl mumbled something. I smiled at her and said

“It’ll be fine, you’ll get it soon”.

Then her mumbling became more audible.

“It is Dunkin Donuts, this is a joke”.

I squinted my eyes as we do when we try to hear better. I bit my tongue wanting to tell her:

“Girl, you have a hard life ahead of you in the workforce”

Or those who work with her will.

One thing I thank my mother for is the pride installed in any work I do regardless of what it is. I find it difficult to work with people who don’t have that pride. That is the reason why our race, Celebrate Life Half Marathon, is so successful; the partner I work with, takes the same pride in the work that I do.

Success is not an accident, someone said to me once. And if that girl with that attitude makes it in the rat race, it would be by accident.

She might be fine after all. Maybe it was too early, I should have given her my cup of coffee.