I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Saturday, December 26, 2009

It Makes Me Complete



One of the common questions we have to answer (other than how far is “that” marathon) is why do you run? Why run today? Why run in this heat? Why run in this weather?

Because…because…

I don’t know. It makes me complete.

Today I ran late. Late enough for everyone to say “skip it, run tomorrow”

I can run tomorrow, I will run tomorrow but I am running today. Because my mind needs it, because my body wants it. Today, “I’m running for answers, I’m running for more”.

Running makes me complete. It started by accident like all wonderful things happen. It became one with me due to perseverance and consistency like all good relationships.

I didn’t give up on it, I seldom do on anything and although we have had some rough patches, my desire to stay with it has prevailed. I wish I could say the same about other relationships in my life.

And Running is a relationship. One I must nurture, one I must be patient with, one I adore.

Relationships are not easy, not simple. They are rewarding but they take effort. This one does. Actually, every relationship that is worth keeping is a lot of work, some more than others but how often do we feel this way about one, how often do we feel so strongly about something, someone. Isn’t it worth it? One good thing about it - many good things about running - is that I don’t have to be good at it, I don’t have to be the best. I don’t hear how everybody else is better. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that I am there, one with, and it is good.

And it makes me complete.

How often we feel that way?

There are relationships that do that for us. Do it for me. It feels complete with them. It doesn’t matter what it is or why it is, it simply is.

When one of those come our way, we would be fools to let it escape without putting up a good fight for it.

I am doing it for running and…for a couple of others that offer the same;

They make me complete.