I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Reason To Exist

I looked forward to eating the Gyro my cousin was getting me. I sat at the table and unwrapped it. Next to me, my daughter sat quietly staring at her chicken dinner. She looked less than excited.

“Would you want to taste my Gyro?” I offered.

“Uhum”

I handed it over to her and she quickly took two bites then gave it back to me. She stared at her chicken again.

“Here, have this” I said extending the sandwich to her again. “I love chicken anyway”.

We traded and she smiled broadly.

True, I like chicken but I love Gyros, a meal I don’t get to enjoy in the area where I live but watching my kid enjoy it was a more satisfying treat than any meal could be.

I write this in the car as I wait for my son to finish loading his belongings in the car. Next, I’ll drive 5 hours to bring us home. Easily, he could use other means of transportation which he has done in the past. However, today I look forward to the conversations we’ll have, to holding his hand while I drive and to watching him doze off after a couple of hours.

I smile as I remember the Gyro I didn’t eat and I am happy to have my boy next to me. It will be a long drive home, but it will be so worth it.

These are, they are the best reason to exist.