I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Right On

There are those songs that play at that precise moment and you say “I was just thinking that!!!”

The evening of Christmas eve 2005, I had traded phones with my daughter. She downloads ringtones and all of that fun stuff. At the time I was getting up at 4:20 a.m. to take the train to work. So I had set my alarm up at that time.

That morning, I ended up in the hospital on a complication of the abdominal surgery I had had months earlier. As anyone who has been in the hospital knows, the nurses do a good job at interrupting your sleep every so many hours (or minutes). At 4:20 a.m. a nurse was in my room again taking my vitals when the alarm went off as loud as the phone was capable of:

“ ’cause you had a bad day, you’re taking one down, you sing a sad song just to turn it around…You had a bad day”

With no hesitation, the nurse looked at me and said:

“and you really had a bad day”.

No songever came that close to the moment.