I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Friday, January 08, 2010


Humility

After writing “The customer is always…” my friend challenged me; “why do you humble yourself so much?”

My answer was simple, admitting mistakes is not humbling myself, I replied. Making my point like in the case of AT&T does not give me the right to be unfriendly/nasty. On the other hand, I don’t back down to authority when I believe I am on the right, as stated in “My taxes at work”.

But going a step further, do I humble?

I have, I do.

Why?

Because I have learned that fighting for what I love and what is important to me ranks higher than satisfying the pettiness of my pride.

I am glad to have learned the difference.

I don’t see anything wrong with that. But, the message that is conveyed can at times be misunderstood into a free ride to walk all over one. Humbling can give the upper hand to others.

It can be seen by as a chance to overpower the weak, but humbleness is not about weakness.

Having the last word, yelling louder than others might be winning a quick insignificant battle but is the equivalent of ending empty, and in the end losing the war with our own self-respect.

Being humble is not an open gate to mistreatment and abuse, it is simply being more at peace with myself, retracing my steps in error, learning to be a better me.

“To become really great, one has to stand with people, not above them” Charles de Montesquieu