I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Thursday, January 07, 2010


My little Gadgets.

So proudly walked out of the store with a black Friday priced GPS. Of course, I won’t read the instructions but will manage to make the basics work.

And it has.

The other day, on my way to pick up my daughter from Camp, it instructed me to get off on exit 113, make a left. I did and immediately the persistent voice told me to “whenever possible make a legal U-turn”. (I don’t know about you but it always sounds to me like it says “Illegal U-turn) and so I did. Once going in the opposite direction, it instructed me to make “a legal U-turn” WTH? A complete circle? When it ceased putting me on this merry-go-round it said 7.5 miles to North Main in both directions…

I ended up having to call the camp and got the good old directions “make a right here, and left there and…” I got there.

Today, on my way back, I programmed it to take me somewhere. The Highway has in the last year or so added one more exit. Well, the thing didn’t know and next thing I know I was on a major highway going 15 miles in the opposite direction while the thing kept saying “exit highway on the right”. Needless to say, I was 30 minutes late.

This is the third time my little gadget takes me in directions I don’t desire. Maybe I should put it in the cemetery of gadgets that we have and go back to my big Atlas. That never failed me.

Sometimes the mind still beats technology. Well, at least when it comes to legal U-turns