I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Monday, January 11, 2010



Out Of Time

This Sunday I watched the dedication of a race to a long time runner. That is a good thing; the recipient of the award was able to appreciate the mention. Better than being given as an afterthought when the person who really should have seen it, is no longer around.

I watched him walk slowly with the help of his wife up to the person presenting the award.

I watched thinking how a disease can be so cruel. How a disease can do that to a person who a year ago I saw dancing at our Christmas party. How can it be so silent, unrelenting, unforgiving?
I watched him from a distance not knowing what to do. I felt the same way on Wednesday when I visited his home.

What do you say to a person whose days are numbered? What do you say to someone you have known in a different light, energetic, live, healthy?

Nothing. I couldn’t say much.

Thoughts crossed my mind. Thoughts of the kindness overlooked maybe validating somebody else. The times not appreciated.

How do you take back times when time is running out?

I stood there watching him. Wondering if that is the fate that awaits those who will succumb to the same disease in its different forms.

I wonder if it were me, if anyone would wish they had not wasted time when there was time.

Time runs out.