I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, January 19, 2010


What We Remember
An email from a friend I worked with years ago brought a smile to my face.
“I remember you every time I go to FL. I think of you when I get on a plane and remember I was scared to death first time flying and you held my hand."

It was Mother’s Day. She and I had to fly to Tampa to attend a mandatory meeting. Never having been on a plane, she was scared. I could see her in the airport getting restless. I knew no amount of talking and statistics was going to do the trick. Phobia, an irrational fear hears no reasoning.

We boarded the plane and her fear was increasing. As the plane was taking off, I did my prayer and then held her hand. She closed her eyes as we flew high.

Of that trip, I remember us having dinner at a seafood place and then driving to an offseason almost empty Clearwater Beach. We managed to find a place open and had a drink. She, who never drinks, had a drink with me. I remember our conversation that night.

Interesting that she remembers the flight. I remember the stay.

The littlest things make an impact in a person that might go unnoticed by others.

I remember my friend Olivia would buy a bag of Fritos for me when I stopped at her house in the afternoons after college. I would lie on the floor and watch TV and eat the precious corn fritos.

Similarly, years ago my daughter got lice. We were scheduled to meet friends to go to a fair. With no other choice I applied the strong odor chemical that would kill the bugs before leaving the house. When we arrived, we walked in the bathroom and my daughter shared with our friend she had lice. Our friend kneeled on the floor to be at her level and with her finger lifted her chin “I did too, Honey. It’s okay”.

Those images are frozen in my memory.

My friend/former coworker made me realize that it’s the smallest frames that make up the whole picture.

I am grateful for all the images I have collected.