I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, February 02, 2010



  • My Playground


While my daughter was in preschool and even in subsequent years, there were many times I watched her interact with her friends. It seemed that the only quality she sought in them was to have fun and to like to bewith them. Nothing else mattered.

It was amazing to see the enthusiasm and intensity she devoted to all her relationships and also the fights and anger associated with them.

At times their emotions turned them into ruthless little creatures capable of hurting each other with words or by withholding a toy or rejecting the other and showing off with a new friend for the time being. They relentlessly pushed, shoved, hurt. But then, they always went back as if nothing had happened and the past actions and incidents were never brought up. Clever little rascals they are.

After years of watching her love a friend and then tell me next “I never want to see her again, never, NEVER!!!” and then watching her run laughing with the same friends a day later or even hours later, I realized how delightfully forgiving kids are.

How beautiful and carefree their friendships are.

I have compared some of my different relationships with hers. Some have had the fun, the laughter, and also the intensity of the fights. We also have behaved like kids in a playground, ruthless, hurtful, pushing and shoving like 5 year olds but have failed at the most essential part of the whole game, the forgiveness and the forgetting the offense forever.

It is interesting that we spend the better part of our kids lives trying to teach them to be intelligent, well educated adults – to be like us! And somehow along the way we all seem to lose that quality that we had when we were little when we loved and appreciated and forgave and forgot and moved on and life was good until the next meal came.

We teach kids to be adults when, in some areas, adults should be like kids.