I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, March 07, 2010


Forever Until Something Better Comes Up


Through the experiences of my adult life, I have come across people who are only true to their own interest.

What we feel at a given moment in time is shaped and influenced by the emotions and the circumstances of what we are experiencing then. We have the right to change the way we feel about anything and we do! Our truth of today is not the same that it was 5 years ago. But whatever it was 5 years ago is what we should have been true to and what it is today is what we are true to today.

But to elaborate more, I find it difficult to understand people who claim to feel something strongly now and totally change it the next minute when a better opportunity arises. Specifically I am talking about friends who are “friends” (quotations intentional) only because there is no one else around and their “friendship” will stop immediately once somebody else appears in their horizon.

They are not real friends. Acquaintances? No, that does not fit either.

I have had a couple of them. They have spent all their available time with me and then some and as soon as someone else has tickled their interest they have been gone, completely gone, no 10 step program. Gone.

They have been true to their own interest, nobody else’s. And although they have swear to be true friends (for the moment) they haven’t been.

I like to refer to “The Prophet” when I think of friendship. “For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill? Seek him always with hours to live”. When we seek a friend to spend time because we don’t have anybody else to spend it with and cease once somebody else becomes available, we are not being true to ourselves or to our friend. We are being deceitful.

Only for our own interest.

Seek your friend with hours to live or don’t seek him at all.